Visualization And Mapping
Issues should not be viewed in isolation, they require a comprehensive “systems” analysis that includes the interests of all key stakeholders. In this regard, we identify and analyze key public, private, not for profit, and academic institutions in a country’s innovation and commercialization ecosystem. Then we identify the networks that a country or region uses to produce new knowledge, to disseminate that knowledge for productive use, and to commercialize modern technologies, products, and services for both domestic and global markets.
Depending on client needs, we can analyze an ecosystem at four different levels of granularity, including:
- National Innovation Systems
Examples include: Canada, Germany, Japan, Israel, China, Brazil, India, U.S.
- Regional/Municipal Innovation Systems:
Examples include: Kitchener-Waterloo, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, New Brunswick, Alberta
- Sectoral Maps:
Examples include: the Oil and Gas sector, Canada’s Clean Technology Ecosystem, the Canadian Bioeconomy Ecosystem, the Canadian Digital Media Ecosystem, Canada’s Nanotechnology Ecosystem, Canada’s Regenerative Medicine Ecosystem, Canada’s Health Innovation System, Canada’s Energy Innovation Sector, Canada’s Forestry Innovation Sector and the Canada’s Minerals and Metals Innovation Sector.
- Organizational Ecosystem Maps:
Examples include: the University of Toronto Innovation Ecosystem, the MaRS Innovation Ecosystem, Canadian Oil Sands Innovation Association Ecosystem (COSIA), the Canadian Business Network (CBN), ReMap (Canada’s advanced manufacturing Centre of Excellence), Public-Private Partnerships Canada, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, the National Research Council of Canada, the Institute of Fuel Cell Innovation, the Council of Canadian Academies (CCA), CMC Microsystems Corporation, and Genome Canada.
An Ecosystem Map is just the tip of an iceberg; under the surface, our maps pull together and visualize hundreds of key policies, programs, regulations, documents, and statistics to give you an accurate, yet straightforward bird’s eye view of your ecosystem. Thus, helping you to:
- Identify your network and partnership opportunities;
- Identify the broader commercial system that impacts yourorganization;
- Identify major ecosystem stakeholders, so you go to theright people first;
- Address key gaps and weaknesses to improve the function and effectiveness of the ecosystem.
We achieve this by:
- Analyzingwhere you are today within the existing ecosystem,
- Help you decidewhere you want to be tomorrow, and
- Developing a road map to overcome obstacles to get there.
Large Poster Size Maps can be purchased in laminated or non-laminated versions at a range of custom sizes, reflective of client needs. Our standard size is 2ft x 6ft at a cost of $375 plus HST per map.
To develop an ecosystem map for your specific perspective, be it a department, program, sector, or firm, please reach out and contact us.
Economic And Innovation Analysis
Does your organization need better results? With over 450 projects to-date, Global Advantage is an established thought leader in strategic growth, innovation, and performance metrics focusing on:
- Designing effective organization and governance structures
- Analyzing organizational processes and performance effectiveness
- Fact finding, data mining, analysis, and advice
- Designing, conducting and assessing online surveys
- Designing organizational performance measurement systems
Our approach can include designing and implementing a framework to monitor the ongoing operations and establishing metrics to achieve organizational objectives. Global Advantage’s consulting methodology applies three principles and answers three key questions.
- Diagnosis:Where are you today?
- Prescription:Where do you want to be tomorrow?
- Implementation:How could you get there?
Our systematic analysis can be applied to a variety of areas including:
- Research, Development, and Commercialization
- Economic and Technology Clusters
- Economic Development
- Science and Technology Policy
- Government Budget Analysis
- Government Innovation Support Programs
- Organizational and Program Design and Restructuring
- Energy and Climate Change policy
- Health Care System Redesign Technology Road Mapping
- Industrial Sectoral Analysis (Biotechnology, Nanotechnology, Forest Sector,Minerals and Metals, Energy and Clean Technology, etc.)
Performance Management And Metrics
“If you can’t measure it, you can’t improve it.” Peter F. Drucker
- How well is your organization performing?
- Are you measuring the right activities?
- Which of your activities are producing the best results?
Global Advantage can help you assess your organization’s need for improved performance management metrics (PMM©) with our proprietary process that, has been developed in working collaboratively with our clients on over 450 projects.
- Assess your PMM needs
- Design a process to capture the performance data you need
- Help you visualize and display the data for more effective decision-making
We can help you eloquently deliver your message and own the room. Be the most spoken about presentation at the conference, keep people enthralled by replacing your dated deck with a fresh and flowing format that zooms in and out of issues central to your storyline. Global Advantage analyzes and then visualizes complex issues, in a way that focuses on the arrangement of and relation between the parts and a collective whole. Complex issues such as national innovation systems, the Canadian health ecosystem, or the energy sector are then communicated in their entirety before examining the contribution of components to the performance of the whole system. Each presentation is tailor-made to each client’s needs.
We can make your organization’s data dance.
With the advent of more complex and abundant data coupled with less time and attention to absorbing information, Global Advantage is animating data sets that make an impact.
Almost all of our projects are completed with a final briefing deck to accompany an ecosystem map. In many cases, we are including data animations of keys data points that are integral to the discussion. We call these animations ‘Dancing Data’.
Dancing data allows for the dynamic presentation of information that showcases relationships that are often lost in a two dimension or text format.
The Global Advantage team of data visualization and animation specialists can help any organization make their data dance, to clearly visualize your organization’s emerging risks and opportunities.